What changes can you expect by the end of the first year after loss, or even longer due to the pandemic? Change happens incrementally, and each step, although sometimes painful, puts you closer to healing.
Each day, try to find something that gives you a sense of gratitude, even if it’s something as simple as walking outside and enjoying the sunshine, talking to a friend on the phone, or having a pleasant meal. Try to do something that makes you happy.
Some people find it helpful to recite daily affirmations each morning. These are positive, motivational statements to set the tone for the remainder of the day. Or you can pick a few affirmations and repeat them out loud in front of a mirror several times a day to address any negative thoughts that are presently dragging you down. Here are some affirmations to consider saying:
- I’m enthusiastic about life.
- I try to live each day to the fullest.
- Even if a situation is difficult, I’ll approach it with confidence and find a way to address it.
- People tell me that I’m interesting.
- I am grateful for my friendships.
- I find joy in some of the simplest things in life.
- I appreciate my friends, family, and life.
- I am open-minded and willing to learn new things.
There are also many books available with motivational affirmations if you need additional guidance to help motivate you.